The Mong-H Village, also known as Vong-H Village, was the largest amongst the eight villages of Macao Peninsula back in the past. It was founded as early as in 1386, during the reign of Emperor Hongwu of Ming dynasty, according to extant documentation. Allegedly, the name, “Mong-H”, has the implication of “looking to Xiamen city in the far distance”. At the time of its heyday, the village had over 130 streets and alleys, with an area covering today’s Rua de Francisco Xavier Pereira, Rua da Madre Terezina, Avenida do Coronel Mesquita, Avenida do Ouvidor Arriaga, Travessa do Pano, Travessa do Bzio and Beco do Caracol.
The content of the pair of couplets inscribed on to the door of the ancestral hall of Ho’s clan of Mong-H Village revealed that most of its inhabitants came from Xiamen city of Fujian province. There were over 500 households, with the Chiu, Ho, Shum, Vong and Hui clans being the most populous and having their own ancestral hall. The Ho’s clan had the biggest population amongst all. The sightseeing route of this itinerary takes visitors on a tour of the once thriving Mong-H Village to gain an insight to its historical evolution.
Total walking time: 60 minutes
Work of “Taking a Walk through the Streets of Macao - Contest on Cultural Walk Itinerary Design”
Author: Tong Hin Weng, Tong Hin Kit