Rua das Estalagens was once an area where firewood was stacked. The street was first extended by Joo Maria Ferreira do Amaral and later by subsequent Macao governors, which gradually formed the city blocks that we see today.
Chinese-style buildings dominate the street, but Portuguese elements can also be found there. The most classic Chinese-style buildings are the Chinese temples, with Bazaar Temple on the west end and Noi Wo Temple on the east. In modern times, the street’s fame can be attributed to the pharmacy founded by Dr. Sun Yat-sen in 1893, which provided both Chinese and Western medicine.