The Lin Fong Temple is one of Macao’s three major ancient temples, and is recognised as one of the memorials. It was constructed during the Wanli period of the Ming Dynasty. It is proven that the inscribed board on the pavilion inside the temple, which writes “中外流恩” (exchanging grace between China and foreigners), has had a 400-year history until now since its establishment. The scale that we see today dates back to 1876.
During that time,the Lin Fong Temple was the discussion chamber of Chinese merchants, and also the resident office of Chinese officials. It was the resident office of the Chinese officials who came to Macao and worked, until the Jiaqing and Daoguang periods of the Qing Dynasty. On 3 September 1839, Lin Zexu, Imperial Commissioner of the Qing Dynasty, came to Macao to investigate and ban the use of opium. Lin set off from Qianshan, entered the Border Gate, met with the Portuguese officials in the main hall of the Lin Fong Temple, and declared the interdiction of opium, which indicated that China at the time could execute the sovereignty over Macao.
Address: Intersection of Avenida do Almirante Lacerda and Estrada do Arco in Macao
Bus Stop: M11 Est. Arco/ Templo Lin Fung, M229 Jardim TRIANGULAR, M10 MERCADO TAMAG. BARBOSA
Going to next stop: 11 minutes’ walk