Flora Garden

Image

Area : Macau
Address: Avenida de Sidnio Pais
Opening Hours: 6:00-24:00
Tel: 2833 7676
Fee: Free
Transportation: Public Bus Information Station
Introduction:
The garden is located at the foot of Guia Hill, an area that has always been considered to have favourable “feng shui”. The site of the garden used to be a garden villa built by Father Vitoriano de Almeida in 1848. It was acquired by the Macao government at the end of the 19th century to serve as the residence of Macao governors. In 1931, the garden villa was completely obliterated by an explosion of the ammunition depot constructed inside the villa in the 1920s. Later on, Sir Ho Tung, a tycoon and philanthropist from Hong Kong, bought the burnt down garden villa and donated it to the Macao government. For this reason, the garden is also known as “Ho Tung Garden”. Back in the past, the garden had a spring named “Spring of Envy” whose water spouted out from the mouth of two stone sculptures. Hence, the garden is known as “Two Dragon Spouts Garden” in Chinese. The spring had dried up a long time ago and the two stone sculptures are purely ornamental nowadays.
The cable car station at the entrance of the garden was completed in 1997. Passengers can take a ride on the cable car to reach Guia Hill Municipal Park. They can look down from their cable cars to get great views of the entire Flora Garden on the way.
Cable car opening hours: 08:00-18:00 (Closed on Mondays or the following day if a public holiday or day of special permission for exemption from work falls on Monday)
Fare:
Single ticket – MOP 2.00
Return ticket – MOP 3.00
Special concessionary return ticket – MOP 2.00
Children (aged 12 or below)
Elderly people (aged 65 or above)
It is the only garden in downtown Macao with a built-in zoo that was constructed in 1959. During the large-scale repair of the zoo spanning from 1996 to 1997, all its animal enclosures, including that of birds, monkeys and bear, were enlarged. It is home to a diversity of mammals and birds today.
During the term of office of Governor Toms de Sousa Rosa in the 19th century, the garden villa was once called the botanical garden as it was selected as the nursery of plants used for beautification of Guia Hill and the streets of Macao, and for greening newly built gardens. Nowadays, the wide pathway that begins at the entrance of the garden is flanked by a variety of shrubs and shade trees. At the end of it is a small pond surrounded by covered corridors and a fountain with a fish-shaped water jet. The stairway nearby the fountain leads up to Guia Hill Municipal Park.
The other facilities of the garden include the Flora Eco-Centre, children’s playground, fitness equipment and cobblestoned footpaths, etc. The garden provides a leisure and recreational area for residents.

Image

Image

Image